This dish is one of the easiest and quickest to prepare. And it is yummy and healthy too. All you need is zucchini but you can certainly add other vegetables and meat.
Total cooking time about 15 minutes.
Prep time : 5 minutes
In these photos, I have used one onion and two zucchini.
1. Simply trim the top and the bottom of the zucchini and dice it (or slice it if you like). No need to peel the zucchini.
2. Peel and dice your onion.
Other ingredients you can add to this dish:
- A few cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
- Tomatos/Mushrooms/Bell pepper, cut into chunks
- Sliced or cubed beef/pork/chicken, I usually marinate my meat with soy sauce/salt, garlic powder, pepper, food wine and corn starch
For my friends in Hong Kong, you can buy zucchini in 一田 Yata, Marks & Spencer, CitySuper or in some Fusion and 360 supermarkets. Please note that zucchini is NOT the same as 翠玉瓜 or cucumber. Zucchini are much more expensive but also a lot more yummy.
Cooking time : 10 minutes
1. Slightly oil (use vege oil) your wok or sauce pan over high heat, add onion, stir once in a while to prevent buring. Turn to medium heat if they are browning too quickly. The goal is to brown your onion a bit to enhance it flavour.
2. When your onion is slightly browned, over medium-high heat add zucchini and stir. Cook for about 3-4 mins, stir once in a while to prevent burning. If your vege starts to burn, you can turn down your heat a little or add a couple tablespoons of water.
3. Cook until the zucchini has just cooked through but still retains some crispness.
4. Add salt (or soy sauce) and pepper (can also add garlic powder / sugar) to your taste.
Thai Fish sauce
In my dish, I have used “fish sauce” instead of salt to give my dish some Thai flavour. If you have never used fish sauce before, best is to ask your friends for recommendations as I am not sure which brands you can find in your country. Some of the bad quality ones can taste very fishy. Below photo is the one I like. You can also check out this Fish Sauce Taste Testing page for other brands.
Done and serve! Super Easy!!
The other day, I have decided to slice my zucchini instead. 🙂